Welcome to the Western Pacific Tropical Research Center (WPTRC) at the University of Guam.
The University of Guam is the largest land-grant institution in the Western Pacific. As such, the University’s mandate is to assist in safeguarding the region’s environmental, social, and economic resources. The Western Pacific Tropical Research Center is the research division within the College of Natural and Applied Sciences associated with the national Land Grant System. Scientists working at WPTRC are finding solutions to issues faced by the people and ecosystems of Guam. Island residents benefit from this research in the form of new and improved foods and plants, a healthy and safe environment, and enriched lifestyles and communities. Research conducted through WPTRC underlies both academic and extension programs. WPTRC specializes in research designed to:
- Enhance agricultural profitability
- Stimulate economic development using natural resources
- Improve the quality and safety of food products
- Sustain and protect the environment with ecologically sound practices
- Improve the quality of life for the people of Guam
Excellence in research in support of the land-grant mission of discovery, learning and engagement. We excel in the areas of tropical agriculture, environmental and life sciences.